Monday, April 9, 2012

Weekend in New York, Italian Style

The other night, Guiseppe and I went out to dinner with another couple to Scalinatella.  It's one of those places in NYC that, unless you're looking for this place, you probably would not find it.  First of all, the storefront, is nothing more than a glass entrance that leads to a set of stairs down to where the restaurant is located.  It's a little grotto-like, which is, I suppose, part of the charm.  If you want to be incognito.  I read in the paper that Dominique Strauss-Kahn ate here for dinner one night when he was holed up in the city to defend his 'legal problem'.  I know now why.  No one would find him there, except Page Six. 

The food and service though, were both excellent.  We started out with some antipasti of sauteed zucchini that reminded my dear friend, Ellen, of how her grandmother used to make it.  It was sauteed with garlic and oil until it was brown and crispy.  There was enough vinegar in there that it caused my mouth to salivate for more.  I had the zucchini flowers to start, which were stuffed with ricotta and mozzarella cheeses.  Crispily fried on the outside, oozing cheese on the inside with just enough sauce to coat it, not drench it.  Guiseppe and I shared the branzino.  It was cooked oh so right and it was super moist.  They must've fried our plates, because once the fish was deboned and plated, all I heard was sizzling.  Served with a parsley, vinegar and oil concoction, it was tart, herby and mild.  It did not overtake the flavor of the fish.

Then after Palm Sunday service, Guiseppe said he wanted to go for a walk.  So we walked up Madison Avenue and stopped in a place called Via Quadronno.  This place is long and narrow, like most of the clientele that frequent here.  If you're not slender, don't bother.  You probably won't fit through the front door, let alone get past the even more slender path to the back dining area.  I remember reading about this place in a NYTimes article years ago.  And that William Grimes article was prominently displayed on the wall dated back in 2002 in the front of the restaurant.  (Was it that long ago?)  Anyhow, the article wrote about the best cappucinos in Manhattan and Via Quadronno had one of the best.  Little did I know that they also served more than just little bites of cheese and salami.  Lasagna al forno, spaghetti bolognese and minestrone are apparently delicious.  I had a cappucino with an arugula, tomato and parmesan salad.  After all, I would have to fit through the door to exit the place or they would have to lock me up inside till I slimmed down!

Links:
http://www.zagat.com/r/scalinatella-manhattan
http://www.viaquadronno.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment